By Sherry Winn
A few years ago, there was a big explosion around the law of attraction (LOA) due to the book, “The Secret.” The law of attraction was a buzzword. It seemed everybody was saying it. People were grabbing onto it like a lifeline, spouting out the words they had read as if the words themselves were going to produce mass miracles.
Then, like most fads, the fervor died down a bit. Many people claimed it was a conspiracy, a lie, or a plot to make money. After all, they had tried the philosophy behind the law of attraction and it had not worked for them; therefore, it must be false.
The problem with most people is when they heard about the law of attraction, they wanted to use it to solve their biggest issues on the first try. This is a little like being drastically out of shape and then deciding on your first run to conquer a marathon. If you had never run in your life except in elementary school on the playground, it might be a bit naïve of you to expect success on your first run.
If you were training for a marathon, even if you had been running three miles a day for several years, you wouldn’t go out on your first day and try to run 26 miles. You would know to gradually increase your mileage from three miles to six to 10, and then an occasional very long run. You would not expect your body to be able to adapt to 26 miles just because you decided you wanted to run that far. You would understand the necessity for starting small and building toward success.
This training principle is exactly the same for learning to use the law of attraction. You want to start with small steps, gain confidence and then build toward bigger goals.
In fact, when I heard about the law of attraction and the premise of it sounded so simple, I decided I wanted to heal my principal issue, chronic pain, which had caused me the biggest heartache. This made sense to me, because if there was a solution to my chronic pain, then I wanted to be able to cure it.
Here were the challenges that occurred for me when I went after my biggest issue first:
1. I was too wrapped around the issue emotionally.
2. My emotions were charged with negativity (pain and fear).
3. I felt intense desire (which feeds the lack of something).
4. It was difficult to get in alignment with the feeling of having something when I NEEDED it so badly.
5. Because I had not experienced success with working with the LOA, I was working from a place of doubt, which brought in negative vibrations.
Needless to say I wasn’t successful which made me initially believe the LOA didn’t work, but because I was an athletic coach at the time, I also knew the importance of breaking down a skill in order to learn it. I decided to train for the LOA like I would train for a game. After all, I would never expect my athletes to succeed without breakdowns and repetitions of the skills I wanted them to learn.
Some of the things I learned which helped ease my pain and give me my lives back are:
1. I practiced on something which wasn’t highly charged for me emotionally like getting a parking space.
2. I focused on seeing what I wanted and feeling myself having it.
3. I let go of any of the attachment I had to getting it.
4. I had faith and belief that it would come to me at the right time.
5. If I didn’t succeed on the first try, I let it go. Beating myself up over failure only added more negative energy.
I learned, as I practiced, I could manifest more things.
AND you can too.
Start with something small, something that doesn’t have a highly charged emotion attached to it. Gain confidence and knowledge, and then build toward your other goals.
Sherry Winn is an author, EFT Practitioner, Certified Law of Attraction and Master Life Coach and a motivational speaker, whose topics include “Making the Impossible Possible,” “Loving Challenges,” and “Catching Your Dreams.” As a former elite athlete competing at the Olympic Games in 1984 and 1988 in the sport of team handball and head collegiate coach for 23 years, she possesses a deep passion for helping others become motivated to reach their highest levels of success.
Winn overcame her fears and limitations when she contracted chronic pain at the age of 33 and was told by 17 different medical professionals there was no answer. Through books, meditation, mentors and Webinars, she discovered the power of healing through positive thinking.
To receive a free 50-minute Law of Attraction coaching session, or more information about Winn, she can be contacted by email at email@example.com, through her website at www.ucancreatesuccess.com or on Facebook.
– See more at: http://www.elevatedexistence.com/blog/2013/06/05/the-law-of-attraction-how-many-times-should-you-ask-to-receive/#sthash.3ImNf6nt.dpuf