By Shery Winn
When people first hear of the Law of Attraction, it sounds simple. After all the premise of it is simple: like attracts like, or we get what we think about most of the time. If we can think of what we desire and keep our minds on what we desire, we will receive it.
It does sound basic; a core concept that once learned can provide the manifestation of all our aspirations.
The problem is we have to learn to control our thoughts because every thought is creative. We cannot think that one thought has more power than another thought, unless we have learned the power of utilizing absolute conviction behind our thoughts.
In other words, most of us want something but we don’t think we can have it, or we want it but we don’t see how we can get it. Our doubts interfere with the conviction behind the thought. We tend to use the “Yes, but” statements.
- Yes, I want a new job, but I don’t see how that can happen right now.
- Yes, I would love to have a partner who supports me, but I’ve never had that in the past.
- Yes, I want to get rid of this chronic health issue I have, but I’ve had it for so long that I don’t think it will ever go away.
We are stating what we want, but in the very same breath we are taking away the power of our conviction. There is no true feeling of having what we desire. We are hoping and wanting, but not believing. Faith is necessary in creating what we want.
We also devalue our goals with the use of the tail-enders in sentences. We have to learn to listen to how we tell our stories. Tail-enders are the phrases we use after the words “but” and “because.” When we have reasons why we can’t have, be or do something, then we are creating the lack of belief behind our desire.
- I would have been the CEO of that company, but I never got the opportunity because I’m just not social enough for the board of trustees.
- I never got to be the writer I wanted to be, because my 4th grade teacher told me that I was not smart enough to even write a single sentence correctly.
- I was going to start my own company but never did, because my father told me there was no security in self-employment.
We are great at having dreams but then not believing we deserve them. We give more power to our doubts than to our faith. We find ways to stop ourselves from getting what we desire by being wishy-washy with our thoughts.
Remember every thought has power.
While we can’t control every single thought that comes through our brain, we can start listening to what we are saying and the conviction behind the thought. If we can learn to put larger emotions behind the thoughts we want rather than our doubts, then we are on the path to manifesting our desires.
Here are some quick ways to assist you with learning to use conviction.
- Meditate daily. Take 10-30 minutes a day to practice controlling your thoughts and getting in connection with your higher self.
- Visualize yourself already having what you desire. FEEL it as you visualize it. Make it as real in your mind as possible.
- If you can’t feel it, ask yourself why you desire it. Become impassioned with your reasons why you want it.
- Ask yourself questions of why you already have it. For example:
- Why am I so thin?
- How did I make all this money?
- Why is my partner so loving and kind to me?
The Law of Attraction is always working whether we are aware of its power or not. We can choose to use it in our favor by becoming more aware or we can allow it to control us. The more we learn to use our emotions of conviction, the more we will find our dreams changing from the surreal to the real.
Sherry Winn is an author, EFT Practitioner, Certified Law of Attraction and Master Life Coach and a motivational speaker, whose topics include “Making the Impossible Possible,” “Loving Challenges,” and “Catching Your Dreams.” As a former elite athlete competing at the Olympic Games in 1984 and 1988 in the sport of team handball and head collegiate coach for 23 years, she possesses a deep passion for helping others become motivated to reach their highest levels of success.
Winn overcame her fears and limitations when she contracted chronic pain at the age of 33 and was told by 17 different medical professionals there was no answer. Through books, meditation, mentors and Webinars, she discovered the power of healing through positive thinking.
To receive a free 50-minute Law of Attraction coaching session, or more information about Winn, she can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, through her website at www.ucancreatesuccess.com or on Facebook.