Next time you want a healthy treat, reach for some raw chocolate. Raw cacao powder, used in the below recipe for Raw Chocolate Truffles, is also loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that balance blood sugar, and boost brain and heart health!
Raw Chocolate Truffles by Christine Okezie
Yield: Approximately 15 pieces
1 cup pitted dates, chopped fine
1 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw coconut nectar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
3/4 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1. In a food processor, chop nuts until finely chopped.
2. Add chopped dates, cacao, vanilla, coconut nectar and salt. Process until well- combined.
3. Roll into small balls and coat with shredded coconut.
4. Put inside refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
5. Truffles can be frozen for later.
Christine M. Okezie is a graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts in New York, and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. She founded her company, Your Delicious Balance, where she councels individuals to heal themselves through real food and positive lifestyle choices. Her healing strategies are based on whole foods nutrition, and she guides her clients to adopt a plant-centered way of eating that offers anti-inflammatory and detoxifying benefits to the body. For more information, visit her Web site at www.yourdeliciousbalance.com or call (201) 889-5001.